Monday, August 31, 2009

my cousin Hugo, Lucky, and my cousin Hanna, looking innocent


Cora’s post travel blog:

Here is an account of my adventures this summer. I hope it is entertaining. If you are envious I understand :) but that’s not the point. Maybe you will be inspired and at least reassured that I was safe the whole time. These were the best days of my life so far, and I loved traveling alone!

Writing this is a challenge because I did many things and it was the little things like making friends for a day to explore a new city with, and having a nice American give you directions on the street when I was lost (often) that made the trip so great.

I left Mannville on July 6th (well the first week of the summer I was not home either, I was fishing in Northern Saskatchewan with Dad, maybe I should start there. It was a fun week of reading Don Quixote, waterskiing in icy water, catching fish from the boat, drinking lake flavored tea and not knowing what time it was. Then, on July 6th I took the greyhound bus to Edmonton and had the pleasure of sitting beside an accountant with strong Christian beliefs, who, after finding out I was not religious told me many bible stories, Adam and Eve, Goliath, Joseph and the coat of many colors, the history of Israel, that the prophesies foretell God coming to earth in his lifetime and taking all who believe to Heaven, and tried to convert me. I enjoyed the stories, but am not converted. Then I did some shopping in Edmonton and enjoyed staying with my Oma and Opa.
On July 8th I took a noon flight to Ottawa, sitting beside a pleasant man who trained the army in the use of a missile defense system in Afghanistan, which was interesting to hear about. A nice flight attendant gave me a ginger ale because I forgot gravol and was feeling nauseous.
In Ottawa I saw a movie called The Limits of Control, which was very unusual and suspenseful, ate gelato, went to the Byward Market, Saw The Sam Roberts Band At Bluesfest (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), bicycled with my cousin Hanna to see the Canadian Museum of Civilization, the National Art Gallery (best art gallery I was in all summer), the Museum of Nature, the Canadian Mint, the changing of the guards at the parliament buildings, and saw a version of Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing in a park. With Uncle Ralph and two of his friends I went on a whitewater canoe trip down the Coulonge River, which was quite exciting. I survived tipping once and my scratches have healed! I would do it again!
picture of bridge where we crossed the American border

On July 17th Uncle Ralph, Hanna, Hugo and I, in a SUV, drove to Lake Placid, NY for the night spent in a charming little hotel called Shulte’s. Crossed the border with no problems! The next day went on a great hike in the Appalachian Mountains to rainbow falls, and up to a lookout. Then they drove to my Aunt Diane’s temporary home in the middle of the forest, NY, where I stayed for a few days playing backgammon, hiking, having bagels and Jewish pastries at a cyber café, shopping at a massive outlet mall, listening to all the Beatles records twice, seeing the Woodstock museum, which was impressive, and of course getting lost a few times on a walk in the forest, and on a bike going to the nearest town of Glen Wild to eat a Jamaican beef pocket and talk to the lady running the store about her life.
Auntie Diane
Then Auntie Diane and I took a train to New York City! NYC does have a kind of energy. We took a tour of the United Nations Building, walked through Times Square in the light rain, ate Breakfast in Herald Square, walked down Broadway and Wall street, went into Tiffany’s, through a fantastic Chinatown, Little Italy, had the best frozen yogurt on Korea Way, rode the Staten Island Ferry past the statue of Liberty, walked to Flatiron Building

in UN building




Times square




view from my hotel window


view of statue of liberty from statten island ferry
this is a sculpture that used to stand in one of the two towers, that was taken from the wreckage and put up in a park. it looks pretty rough, partly because of how it looked in the first place, but close up it had a bunch of extra dents.

Wall Street is a one way street....
Chinatown

Little Italy


Me in front of the Flatiron Building. if you are wondering how it stays standing know that it is very sturdy looking from the other side. it's not really that marvelous.

outside of Metropolitan Museum of Art
a few exhibits:








On the spur of the moment we got tickets to the Broadway musical 9 to 5, which was awesome, enjoyed the view of the city from a revolving restaurant at night, then I saw Auntie Diane off in Penn Station, and was on my own!!! The next day I had a knish for breakfast in Central Park, just because I had no idea what knish was, and spent the rest of the day in the Metropolitan Museum of Art taking tours to learn about Egyptian Pharaohs, the symbolism of mirrors in art, and saw many famous paintings, sculptures, art from all over the world and modern art! Took the subway back to hotel. Fun learning to navigate the public transportation systems in 6 different cities! I wish I could properly thank all the people who helped me!
On the train a high school history teacher sat beside me, and I think I inspired him to mention Canada in his lessons next year. He was a very pleasant guy, pointed out the landmarks as we rode by, and told me about his life, and American history for the whole trip.
Washington was awfully hot. I was sweating since the moment I stepped off the train. I explored the mall, and saw many monuments and many people. It was crowded in the Smithsonian museums and everything was a bit dusty it seemed. I wasn’t impressed by the exhibits in the museum of natural history and museum of the American Indian. the Canadian museums were better!




Lincoln Memorial

the White House
The butterfly and sculpture gardens were nice, and I was impressed with the large and significant looking Canadian embassy. I ate in Chinatown, and went home to the hostel where I talked to Sibille from France, and Alice- not her real name- from China. I had breakfast with Alice and her friend. July 26th was the day I received my official acceptance email from the University of Alberta. I checked my email from my phone while walking down the street and did not get run over, so I celebrated with a smoothie from Starbucks, because of course that was the closest café. They are everywhere. Then I explored and interesting neighborhood someone from the hostel recommended, and went to a bookstore. Then walked back to the mall and saw the National Art Gallery which was very interesting.



this is by Leonardo Da Vinci! it was impressive in person

Monet is famous for a good reason! this painting was amazing!

Then I went to a Latin American grocery store. I slept very well and missed breakfast then took the metro to the Adams Morgan neighborhood and explored some neat shops. I was sad to leave DC, but caught the train to Chicago in the evening. I sat beside a woman who was studying criminology. The scenery was nice. Ate a granola bar and apples and brushed my teeth in a tiny, rocking bathroom.
On July 29th I had some trouble finding the Chicago hostel, which ended up being very close to the train station and in Greek town. Went to Barnes and Nobles to read about what to do in Chicago and look at a map. Took in a Sibelius concert in Millennium park. The stage was an interesting design
Talked to guys from New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Virginia, and South Korea at the hostel. Everyone in the common room was speaking a different language! The next day I went to Chinatown,
Shedd Aquarium (wow! So many kinds of sea creatures!) and the Art Institute (loved all the paintings!) with Jason from South Korea.

enormous fuontain in Chicago park


enormous chrome jellybean sculpture in Chicago park
this is the interesting stage where I heard Sibelius

Chicago skyline from outside hostel


Chinatown Chicago!




another monument to some famous guy. there were many.


Shedd Aquarium:







me on the beach in front of Lake Michigan:


the loop train, above the street in downtown
The next day I sat on the beach and read a book I borrowed from Dave from New Zealand, then went swimming, and then bought some back to school clothes, which filled up my backpack fast. Had breakfast with people from Northern Ireland in the hostel the next day. Took loop train to Wicker Park neighborhood which was cool. Had excellent Thai food for supper.
August 1st I had to move on to another city after going to Starbucks with my new friends.


Jason


Dave

the train I was sitting by Adam from Buffalo who was taking media studies in college and going to Denver for a mountain bike race. He was fun to talk to and we shared our food for supper. Upon arrival in Denver I found a bus and then the hostel, which had a lot of character! An old apartment building covered in vines with nice balconies.



Denver Capitol building with real gold leaf on the dome
Sunset in Denver

Everything in the Denver hostel just barely worked but it was so much fun! I talked to girls from Russia making borscht in the kitchen, and an enthusiastic girl from South Korea who was also traveling alone. I went to the public library, which is the largest in North America, then ate Japanese for supper. The next day I talked with Alex, a British philosophy student for the entire day and we walked around to parks and I ate the local cuisine: a burger.
Alex looking out the window of the Denver Public Library











Sunrise from the roof of the hostel





view from train


Alas, on August the fifth had to leave Denver because I had all my train tickets and hostel reservations booked. But it was a good thing that i kept moving because I liked every single city I went to! It was a very long train ride but I was beside Cara, who was going to California to visit some college friends because she didn’t know what to do with her life and her arts degree. She told me about a trip to India and complained about the American health care system. When we had a few hours to explore Salt Lake City we walked around together. It was a nice quiet city. We saw the gargantuan Mormon tabernacle which looked like it was completely separate from reality, with its fantastical architecture. The gardens around it were immaculate. Maybe the fallen from Heaven look it was they were going for.





organ in seperate building. visitors are not allowed inside the tabernacle




The next morning I got off the train in Sacramento, which was not as warm as any of the cities I had been in up until then. But there were palm trees! After confusing I street with 1 street I found the most beautiful old mansion made into a hostel. I checked the bulletin board for things to do and went to the downtown plaza to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince at the theatre because I had been hearing about it and seeing posters everywhere I had to see it! The next morning I found pancake mix on the free food shelf and made a pancake for a journalism intern from London who made me a cup of tea and showed me where some fun shops were. Exchanges like that are why I love hostelling! I went to the farmers market for some delicious fruit, then walked around to a bookstore, a café, sat in the park, then went for a jog, got lost, then to another art gallery, then watched the documentary Food Inc. which was disgusting. Worth watching.




California capitol building:


Next day shopped at a natural foods co-op, sampled taffy at a candy store in “Old Sacramento” and bought more clothes at neat second hand clothing stores then sat in a park with a free country music concert going on and talked to whoever sat down. I got some good suggestions for what to do in Portland, and met a nice couple and a lady named Melissa, who I then had tea with, and talked about American politics and traveling until Melissa drove me to my train at midnight. This train ride was tiring; I forgot my groceries at the hostel so I ate some instant oatmeal that exploded in the microwave in an empty car that I was not supposed to be using because of FDA regulations. Read Sophie’s World by Jostien Gaarder, a very good novel about the history of philosophy, in the observation car while the scenery went by. I also read a bit of the Koran, a copy was just sitting on a seat so I couldn’t resist.
View from train.

jazz concert in the Portland rose garden!















The Portland Union Station. They are all called Union Station, and are all very nice; the one in NYC is just more famous.
Arrived in Portland on August 8th and discovered an exceptional Mexican restaurant right away. Found home easily, an ordinary hostel in an older neighborhood. I was only there for one night but I got a good impression of Portland. Went to the 4.5 acre rose garden, while a jazz concert was on, and all 550 varieties of roses were blooming.
(these 2 pictures are out of order this is Seattle)

(a sturgeon in Pike Street market)



(the first Starbucks)
The next afternoon in Portland I spent in Powell’s books, the largest bookstore in North America, where you need a map to get around and the rooms are color coded. I read bits of books on many topics until it closed.
The last train ride of my summer was beside a lady originally from South Korea who was using her laptop to look at a 3D model of a protein, which I found fascinating (I noticed a benzene ring in the structure!). She is researching how quickly proteins oxidize medicines in order to make better medicines with fewer side effects!
On August 9th I met Eli and Vicki, from South Korea, at a bus stop. They were also staying at the hostel and had the same Victoria Clipper ferry tickets as I. The Seattle Hostel felt like home right away. The common room was always full and the continental breakfast included fresh fruit. I met Maria, who is from Holland,
...and we spent the day exploring the city. We went to the first Starbucks, Pike Street Market, tried raw oysters, walked around Space Needle, which was not very tall comparatively anymore,


...ate babaganoush, and went for a 2.5 hour ride on a 70 foot sailboat in the evening in the light rain, and it was wonderful! The first time I had been on a sailboat!







The next day I met Sophie at breakfast. She had grown up in Australia, but now called Austria home. We took the bus to Chinatown, and saw the most amazing Chinese grocery store, navigated a mess of overpasses to get to downtown, went to the 78th floor of the Columbia Tower to see the view, went to Macy’s, tasted many samples at Pike Street Market, then tried on random clothes at Buffalo Exchange.

In the evening we borrowed the TANDEM BICYCLE
from the hostel, and wobbled our way to the beach, where I went into the water, which everyone seemed to think was crazy, because Sophie wasn’t the only one laughing and taking pictures. It was the coldest water I have ever gone into in my life.

from Columbia Tower





Sophie










Hostel Seattle:







On August 12th I left the United States of America, and my stereotypes of them, behind. Sophie walked me to the Victoria Clipper ferry.



When I arrived in Victoria I saw the first familiar face in 2.5 weeks, my cousin Matt. We had some delicious pizza with his girlfriend Kim, and I slept in my own room. But actually I missed sleeping in bunk beds in a room with 7 other people! I spent 3 days in Victoria working on their computer, jogging along the coast, watching movies, eating Kim’s amazing vegetarian cooking, walking through downtown, the inner harbour, Beacon Hill Park (heard another free concert) and Chinatown, (another reoccurring theme in my story it seems) and enjoying the sunset and admiring kite surfers:





So my time with Kim and Matt was really fun! On the 15th I went to Vancouver by riding the ferry. Lovely trip, spent sitting on the deck reading.


Vancouver bus station where I met a Swiss girl, who was fun to talk to

In Vancouver I had time to walk to Chinatown to get some pineapple buns before getting on an uncomfortable greyhound bus,



Which took me to my great aunt Genevieve’s home in Creston, British Columbia. Creston is the most picturesque town, surrounded by mountains, with fruit trees everywhere! Spent two lovely days there. With my second (?) cousin Seb I went to a beach on Kootenay lake and jumped off what must have been 7 meter high rocks into the lake. I was terrified and it was so much fun!

I love family! This is me with my great aunt Genevieve and her daughter




Next stop was Calgary, I arrived at the bus station the morning of August 18th. Here I stayed with my Auntie Merle, Uncle Bruce, and their 8 year old great granddaughter Anouk, who was also visiting. Anouk and I had a great time at Callaway Park riding all the big rides. On the 20th of August Auntie Merle dropped me off at my Oma and Opa’s place in Edmonton on her way to visit Mannville. I enthusiastically told them about my trip, and ate many cherries from their tree! The next day I had coffee and sushi with my old friend Laura and talked about university! I am so excited to start! For the next 3 days my cousin Sarah and I lived in my Auntie Diane’s empty apartment and took in many eclectic and mad plays at the Edmonton fringe theatre festival, and ate ethnic food, my favorite of which was Ethiopian. We saw She Came From Planet X!, a Korean musical about true love, Edmonton’s adaptation of a Sherlock Holmes story which was also a musical, Nggrfg, Rabbit Rabbit, Full Frontal Nudity (about Michelangelo’s David), The Secret Love Life of Ophelia, and to top it off, the evening my Dad came up, we all saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show!
I was back to the house that I grew up in at 3 on August 24th. It had not changed!

So this trip was an incredible experience for me. My mind has been opened. Traveling alone was great! It was not scary at all! Yes I can confidently say that. I was not mugged, I had nothing stolen from me, and people were very helpful. I was not even lonely! Everyone should go on a trip like this, and the world would be a friendlier place with less fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment